What moved Spotfire to a Leaders position in the 2013 Business Intelligence and Analytics Magic Quadrant from Gartner, Inc.?
While you’ll need to review the entire report to see all the details, we can share a few highlights and insights as to why Spotfire customer feedback helped move the product into the Business Intelligence Magic Quadrant Leaders category.
First, it’s important to know how the survey works. Gartner defines vendors in the Business Intelligence and Analytics Magic Quadrant as having “a software platform that delivers 15 capabilities across three categories: integration, delivery and analysis.”
Gartner surveyed just over 1,700 current business intelligence and analytics platforms in late 2012 to compile the Magic Quadrant (MQ) report.
Second, it’s important to note how critical this report is in the decision-making process when companies are selecting business intelligence or data discovery vendors.
Because it’s based on customer surveys, vendor surveys and client inquiries to Gartner, decision makers view the report as an important tool in the final decision-making process. Gartner uses this tool to give enterprises a broader view of the industry and the top players in it.
Customer survey data is a key factor for Gartner’s ranking. The direct feedback from customers helped drive Spotfire into the Leaders category.
So, now that we’ve explained how the report is compiled and used, here’s an overview of what helped move Spotfire’s data discovery software to the Leaders category.
Spotfire is not a typical business intelligence platform. In fact, Gartner’s 2013 review highlights Spotfire’s visualization-based data discovery capabilities with this quote:
“TIBCO Spotfire’s strong functionality ratings in interactive visualization, ad hoc analysis and predictive analytics suggest that, while it is not usually the enterprise standard, it has been successful in augmenting the BI standard when more flexible discovery-based and sophisticated analysis is required.”
Additionally the report says, “Spotfire is well suited to build analytic content ranging from basic interactive visualizations and dashboards to advanced, interactive analytic applications.”
So, what else did users highlight as “leader-quality strengths?” Five things:
- Dimension-free data exploration. According to Gartner, Spotfire customers “report the largest percentage of users of any vendor on the MQ using the platform for interactive visualization.” In addition, Spotfire users are “among the highest percentage of users conducting ad hoc query and analysis.”
- Data mash-up. In addition to what Gartner cited in this year’s Gartner BI Magic Quadrant, no other visualization-based data discovery tool empowers users to quickly combine disparate structured and unstructured data sources without custom scripting and IT support. Spotfire’s unique Data on Demand capability enables users to interactively mash up or swap massive data sets to uncover insights masked by data silos or aggregations!
- Predictive and event-driven. The newest version of Spotfire (5.0) “exposes a set of code-free modeling tools to analysts,” Gartner notes. “These [capabilities] have the potential to put more advanced analytics in the hands of a broader set of users and to enable a seamless analytic model development workflow between analysts and data scientists.” In other words, Gartner views Spotfire as empowering users from the get-go.
- Contextual collaboration. In addition to being a data discovery tool, Spotfire’s integration with tibbr (TIBCO’s social collaboration technology) allows Spotfire to “broaden the possible spectrum of end-user-driven interactive analysis and data sources.”
- Enterprise-Class. TIBCO Spotfire’s interactive visualization capabilities are now enabled by a hybrid in-memory and newly added direct query access approach to support and leverage larger enterprise managed data sets than previously possible.
- We invite you to review the entire Gartner BI MQ for Business Intelligence and Analytics Platforms.
- To learn more about the latest Spotfire capabilities that Gartner based its Gartner BI MQ on, please view our complimentary webcast – What’s New with Spotfire 5.0.